Saturday, August 14, 2010

the Labor novel.

These pics should be in reverse order....but I'm too tired to care to fix it.....sorry.

Layla was born last Monday at 2:23a. She weighed in at 6 lbs and 14 oz. She was 21" long. So she is tall and skinny. heehee.
Words cannot describe the love and completeness our family has for this baby girl. I can't even describe how open and ful my heart is everytime I look into her dark blue eyes and kiss her beautiful face. I love this girl so much!
This is how the day went:
-3pm on Sunday, 8/8/10, the hospital called and told me I was ready to come in to be induced. Matt and I had all our bags packed (even the kids') and we dropped them off our friends' house and then we drove to the hospital all giddy and excited.
-4:30pm, the IV was started and yea, that nurse was not very "loving". LOTS of pain, lots of blood, just for an IV. Ugh.
-5:00p, the penecillin for my Group B Strep was administered in the IV. OK, let me just tell you how PAINFUL straight up pen is in the arm. Nurse was supposed to flush it or give it with lidocaine. Yea ummm, SHE DIDN'T. It felt like a hot fire ball was entering my arm at rapid speed and shooting into every muscle fiber and exploding into a bigger fireball. I honestly do not know how to better explain the feeling. I cried out LOUD that 2 other nurses came in and quickly flushed it and gave lidocaine to numb the pain....muccccchhhhh better after that.
-7:00p, the penicillin bag was empty to they started the pitocin. Contractions started soon after that.....and they were fine for about 2 hours. I tried to see how long I could go without the epidural but after those 2 hours, I wimped out and asked for it.
-9:00p, the anesthesiologist came in and did the epid. It was much more painful than I remember with having it done for Alec's birth.
-9:45p, epidural is fully working.....on my right side only! I was sooooooo scared I was going to feel all the labor and birth on my left side BUT they simply tilted my body a little and voila, I was numb on the left side.
11:00p, Doc broke my water.
-----Labored comfortably numb til around 1:40a----------
1:40a, they checked me and I was dilated to a 7 and 100% effaced. Matt had gone to the store down the road to get some food. I called him and told him to come back cause I was at a 7 and this baby could come soon. 10 min later, as I felt a lot of pressure, nurse checked me and I was at a 10 and ready to push. Matt was parking the car but I called him and was like, "get your booty over to the room NOW, I gotta push!"
2:00a, with Matt by my side and my mom on the other, I pushed 13 times and out my little darling angel came at 2:23a on a magical day, 8/9/10!


Carol said...

Congratulations! I am glad everything went well and Matt made it back in time. YAY for your little girl!

james n mary said...

congrats, sarah! she's precious =)

Debbie said...

Wow, this is an old post and I almost feel silly saying congrats so late in the game but I haven't been doing much blog hopping lately and have lost track of what everyone is doing so I am so glad that you left a comment on mine!! At any rate.....CONGRATS!!!! on that beautiful little lady with all of that lushish dark hair!! So glad you got a little girl!!